Established in 1951, the County of Grande Prairie was the first county in Alberta.
Located in Northwestern Alberta, approximately 460 kilometers northwest of Edmonton and 160 kilometers east of the Rocky Mountains, the County encompasses three towns, one village, 11 hamlets and several country residential communities. Horse Lake First Nation, a Federal Indian Reserve, is also located within the County boundaries.
The County is bordered by the Municipal District of Greenview #16, Birch Hills County, and Saddle Hills County, as well as by the Province of British Columbia. The natural resource rich County surrounds the City of Grande Prairie.
As part of the Great Plains Region of North America, 40 per cent of the County is prime farmland. The remainder is marginal farmland with a forest perimeter.
Extensive forests lie to the north, south, and west of the County. These boreal forests are classified as “Mixed Wood and Lower Foothills.”
In the centre of the County is a small mountain, Saskatoon Mountain, which rises to a height of 3,100 feet.
- Location: 460 km (286 miles) Northwest of Edmonton
- Area: 5,507 square kilometers
- Population: 20,347 (2011 Census) a 13.5% increase since 2006
- Roads – Primary: #43, #40, #2,#59
- Roads – Secondary: #667, #668, #670, #671, #672, #674, #720, #721, #722, #723, #724, #733
View a low resolution map of the County of Grande Prairie [PDF – 6.56 MB].
- Average Daily Max. Temperature (July): 22 degrees Celsius
- Average Daily Max. Temperature (Jan): -9 degrees Celsius
- Average Days with Wind below 5km/h: 318
- Average Precipitation: Rain – 317.7 mm (12.5 inches), Snow – 158.6 cm (62.4 inches)
- Average Hours of Sunshine Per Year: 2,203 (314 days of Sunshine on Average)
- Rail: CN Rail
- Bus: Greyhound
- Air: West Jet, Air Canada
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- Grande Prairie County Enforcement
- Queen Elizabeth II Hospital, City of Grande Prairie
- Beaverlodge Municipal Hospital, Beaverlodge
- Post Secondary – Grande Prairie Regional College, Fairview College
- High Schools – Sexsmith, Grande Prairie, Beaverlodge
- Elementary Schools – Bezanson, Teepee Creek, Sexsmith, Valhalla Centre, Hythe, Beaverlodge, Elmworth, Wembley, Grande Prairie
Community & Recreation Facilities
Ice rinks, Soccer fieldhouse, athletic outdoor fields at the County of Grande Prairie Sportsplex. Golf Courses, Arenas, Curling Rinks, Baseball Diamonds, Parks & Campgrounds, Rodeo Grounds, Historical Sites, Gymnasiums, Tennis Courts, Lakes & Rivers, Community Halls, Playgrounds, Ski Hills & Trails, Churches, Senior Centres, Farmers Markets, Grocery Stores, Hotels/Motels.
Service Organizations, Community Associations, Agricultural Societies, Recreation Organizations, Art Societies, Dance Clubs, Hospital Auxiliaries, Cultural Clubs
To download or view a complete profile of all the latest information about the County of Grande Prairie view our Economic Profile.
History & Establishment of Municipality
View details on how the County of Grande Prairie was established.